Friday, February 16, 2007

We're wired

The number of devices in this household is only exceeded by the number of spare wires, USB connections and telephone cords in the "spare parts" drawer in the linen closet. And yet, when given an extra flat screen monitor by my brother-in-law for my home office, there is not one appropriate power cord to work.

on my desk at any given time are:
USB connection for iPod
USB connection for Treo
USB connection for digital camera
USB connection for Wacam tablet

Then there is the wire for the phone earpiece (I won't go wireless - let the next generation decide if it caused brain tumors among their parents), the wire for the monitor (there'd be two if i could get one), the wires for the speakers, the external hard drive, the two printers, the scanner, the two telephones (one cordless so I can pick up and hunt down whomever needs to come to the phone), the DSL, the wireless modem, and of course, the extra USB hub itself.

What is sitting on my floor in the corner is a pit of snaking wires, cables and cords. Twice a year I try to untwine them all. It's useless. I just pick them up, vacuum, and put them back down.

My car is also a snake pit. I have a power cord for the iPod that adapts to the speakers, the power charger for the Treo (as well as one for my husband's Blackberry), cord for the StreetPilot and cord for the video game du jour (plugged into rear power for offspring). Forget the glove compartment, I just reach under the seat and pray something doesn't bite.

No comments: