Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Plastic Sleeves

I have a million and one reasons why to save the plastic sleeves your newspaper comes in. Okay, maybe a few.

First, and foremost - they should be recycled. Bring them back to the supermaket with the rest of your plastic bags.

Now, the Clutter Fairy's uses:
  • they are great for dog poop. Insert hand into bag, pick up poop, pull bag over fist and tie. Tie again over the whole thing and it won't smell so much in the garbage can.
  • use as a disposable glove. I use them when cleaning the toilet bowls and other things where clorox can get on my hands. I even rinse and then dry, and then recycle. Yes, I'm a freak for recycling things
  • cover your feet when you have a sprained ankle ace bandage on your foot. I usually use a rubber band (try not to cut off circulation) and do two layers. Works well for protecting a hand wound too.
  • back to the dog.... I store individual servings of the dog's food in a bag and tie when he's being boarded at the kennel. Larger than a sandwhich size bag and cheaper (free)
  • send them to school in the kids' backpacks if they have a collapsable umbrella - they put the umbrella in the bag and their locker or backpack won't get wet.
  • put the wet umbrella in one when shopping. That way I don't have to suffer a dripping umbrella all over the mall. I can just tuck it into my tote. (keep them in the car)
  • I put my shoes in them before they go into the luggage.
  • I also keep some in my luggage. I take one on the plane and use as my own individual garbage bag. No, I'm not a neat freak - but I hate stuffing things in the back seat pocket (and the airlines don't like it either). They always come in handy in hotels - like for something to put all those little toiletries in and not have to worry about them leaking into your suitcase.
  • My husband takes them to the gym - they're just large enough for him to put his small towel into when he's finished with it (cheap gym - no clean towels unless you pay extra).

No comments: