Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Life and Times of a Chronically Messy Person

Martha Stewart would be all over me like white on rice with a big "tsk tsk" and "get your house in order, dear." That is, of course, if she ever were to look my way. I doubt I'd run into her in the isles of K-Mart. For one thing, I don't shop there. And I doubt she does either.

I have someone who spends a few hours a week working for me and her job is unclutter my life. Clean out my files, vacuum the floors, and tidy up my closets. I don't let her do our laundry because that's too personal (yet she can throw out old boxes of Tampax and an eight year old diaphram found under the bathroom sink). And the kids have to clean their own rooms. I mean, I did it, why do I need to pay someone to pick up after them? At least they don't leave food around - that would do me in.

My mind is cluttered up sometimes too. I work from home and my desk is a mess. They say "a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind" so I guess if a shrink were to examine me I'd pass the tests. But everything is chaotic. Kids coming and going, husband's hours are erratic, dog sheds and parents need (and deserve) my attention too.

I Blog for others. It's part of my job as a PR professional. One of my best friends keeps telling me to write in a journal every night. I stopped writing in longhand years ago. If I can't type I can't compose. So I'm joining every other member of the Web 2.0 world and contributing my say.

No comments: